Sunday, October 25, 2015

I love Special Olympics- Top 3 Reasons

It hasn't even been a year since I started volunteering with Special Olympics. It was November 2014 at a bowling tournament, I remember sitting in my car in the parking lot working up the courage to go inside. I said a prayer and headed in, I never would have thought I would fall head over heals in love with Special Olympics. Since then I have joined two committees, volunteered with track and field, volunteered at multiple events, working with some other coaches on a softball team for our area and now I am preparing to jump in the freezing cold water just to raise funds and awareness for Special Olympics.

Here are my top 3 reasons why I love Special Olympics (And why you should too!) 

3. I think are a lot of misconceptions about Special Olympics, some people think it's not legit competition and we just give everyone ribbons and medals. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!! The athletes practice and work hard for 8 weeks before competing in regional tournements! Competition is by the book, the same rules everyone else plays by, and if there are modifications they come from the Official rule committees in the particular sport. For example softball has a second home base to avoid collisions at home base. During training there is a lot of emphasis on playing by the rules and teaching our athletes the right way to play. 
"The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community."


2. I've met so many amazing people; staff, volunteers and athletes! There is something to be learned from each and everyone of them and I want to learn it all! The first coach I ever worked with I met during a regional bowling tournament, and then did track and field with her. I absolutely loved watching the way she interacted with the athletes, how she would correct them and help them improve, and how much the athletes love her. I told her I want to learn everything I can from you!! Since I am on two committees I have worked with a good chunk of staff members for Special Olympics and can see the passion and joy they get from their jobs. It's a great feeling to be surrounded by people who share the same interests and passions that you do! 

1. Special Olympics athletes are straight up amazing and inspirational! There is so much to be learned from them; patience, dedication, bravery, perseverance, good sportsmanship and having fun in a competitive sport! But most of all they prove there are no excuses, just solutions! One of my favorite parts of competitions is when the athletes recite the oath, "Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be BRAVE in the attempt." The beautiful part is the athletes really do  play by the oath, I see so much support from opposing athletes; giving high fives and "Good try!" Or "You will get it next time!" I admire each and every athlete, no matter their story, where they come from and where they've been, they show up ready to win and have fun!! 
On the first day of bowling this season it was so awesome to see the athletes welcoming each other back, giving hugs, high fives and welcoming unfamiliar faces. The energy was amazing; so much excitement, joy, happiness and love filled the alley. I absolutely love all our athletes!! 

If this touched your heart at all please support my plunge which will help Special Olympics continue being able to provide year round training and competition at NO cost to the athletes! 
THANK YOU!! I'm extremely grateful for any and all support!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment