Sunday, November 9, 2014

I loved volunteering!

I am so beyond grateful I stepped out of my comfort zone, took the initiative to sign up to volunteer and follow through, all by myself. That may not seem like a accomplishment to you but it was for me! 

Growing up I always wanted to get involved in our local Special Olympics but made every excuse in the book not to. A couple weeks ago I searched local volunteer opportunities and this Special Olympics bowling event came up and it was only 15 minutes away from me, I didn't even hesitate I emailed and signed up. I knew it was meant to be, I asked for an opportunity and one of my dreams was put in front of me. Thank you!! 

I showed up to the alley and started getting really anxious, I wasn't sure exactly where I needed to go, there were people all over the place and I didn't know anyone. I finally figured out where to go and signed in, I met the woman I had emailed with and ending up working side by side her and the other directors. What an AMAZING group of people! 

Once I was settled in and got over my initial nerves, I had so much fun! I never realized how competitive bowling is, but these athletes love bowling! Everyone was having such a good time, cheering each other on, giving high fives, and "you'll get it next time". It was so heart warming to watch, and the best part was they all said, "it was just about having fun!" 

While everyone was bowling I was speaking with one of the directors and she was telling me about all the programs they have and events coming up, it's amazing how much they have going on! And I can't wait to be part of it!! 

There were 38 lanes of bowlers and we presented awards to each lane, I had the honor of giving out medals, and it was truly a life changing experience being able to share in that excitement. I received some of the warmest loving hugs, most enthusiastic high fives, and beautiful smiles. I will never forget that day! 

I'm grateful to have been blessed by this experience, and found an amazing cause to donate my time too. I am so happy!!

I encourage everyone to step out of their comfort zone and find a cause your passionate about, donate and volunteer your time to them. You will make a difference in someone's day and you will be impacted. 

Be Grateful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment